Data Analysts (x2)
- Roles located in Canberra
- Applications close on Thursday 17/2/2021
- Commence in March – 1/3/2021
- Contract to 30/6/2021 with 1×12 month extension option available
- A Baseline security clearance is required for this role
Several (2) Data Analysts are required to develop a process of transforming the data received into a reliable dataset for producing regular statistics and informing policy decisions. This is a new project with the data analysts being required to:
- Provide guidance, advice and or drafting of relevant data preparation artefacts;
- migrating data to modern relational database platforms (such as SQL) from data tables stored in other formats;
- data cleaning and standardisation of data. This will include close consultation with the Department to align with existing standards such as the Standard International Trade Classification (SITC), or others as relevant, and consultation with data users;
- developing and documenting a method for dealing with historical revisions to ensure time series consistency;
- facilitating easy annual additions, including making recommendations on any ongoing reporting methods that could be improved to facilitate greater data standardisation;
- development of a data dictionary for the data; and
- other data preparation activities as required.
Key deliverables include:
- Internal validation checks of the data;
- Validation against other data sources, including data from Lloyds List Intelligence ship movement data and the ABS International Trade in Goods and Services data;
- Verifying whether the data can be used to accurately report on very recent (< 30 days) changes in freight movements;
- A report detailing initial findings about the data, assessing the need, scope and potential for further work and identifying discrepancies in the data;
- If feasible given the quality and complexity of the data, develop initial output on recent trends for a selection of key commodities, covering volume and value imported/exports, containerisation characteristics, and location of landside origin/destination; and
- Weekly highlights email in dot point format and a monthly progress report in a format to be agreed.
- Data analysis skills including independently querying, testing and validating datasets and providing data extracts and analysis to inform decision makers.
- Experience in documenting data processes, data dictionaries, data applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team and to communicate technical issues/solutions with both technical and non-technical colleagues and internal and external stakeholders.
- Recent experience in similar projects involving analysing customs data will be considered an advantage.
- Experience programming with R or SAS or Python.
- Experience using SQL.