- Role located in Canberra
- Applications close on Tuesday 19 January 2021
- Immediate start
- 6 month contract with a 6 month extension option available
- A Baseline Security Clearance is required or the ability to obtain one
A Visual Designer is to manage and deliver high-quality visual communications products including graphic design, digital photography, videography, video editing, motion graphics, illustrations, website design and presentation materials. Working with the teams across the strategy and architecture branch to create and communicate complex concepts with visual designs and illustrations that align with the departmental visual identity and meet inclusive design standards across multiple mediums. To be successful you must be able to work in an agile delivery environment, be self-organising and be willing to work across multiple teams.
As a Visual Designer, you will:
- Lead the design of presentation packs, discovery reports and templates;
- Develop a broad variety of visual design documents to be used for internal and external stakeholders including architecture models;
- Produce life event journey maps by illustrating the narrative of people’s experience and designing for complex information layout;
- Design and publishing of the Digital Transformation Strategy Refresh;
- Produce collateral, including merchandise;
- Support advanced data visualisation techniques;
- Work in a multidisciplinary team to ensure the identification and prioritisation of the work that benefits users; and
- Guide teams to adopt inclusive practices and apply what they learn to design and deliver accessible services that work for all users.
You will have experience in working in an agile environment and have an understanding of the Commonwealth Digital Service Standard, the Digital Transformation Strategy and other key digital products and strategies. You will work with a multidisciplinary team comprising of a program lead, service designers, user researchers, subject matter experts and others. Our ideal candidate will be proactive and supportive to undertake this role.
Essential skills and experience include:
- Experience producing UX artefacts such as journey maps;
- Experience producing illustrations that communicate user needs;
- Demonstrated experience taking complex ideas and concepts and communicating them visually to a range of stakeholders;
- Experience designing and producing reports and other formal documents;
- Experience designing, developing and managing templates for a range of software products;
- Experience producing online content that meets WCAG 2.1AA;
- Demonstrated experience working with industry standard graphic design software;
- Demonstrated experience working with digital photographic processing and manipulation software;
- Ability to work in an agile multi-disciplined team; and
- Ability to collaborate closely with colleagues in different digital disciplines and across different agencies to achieve outcomes .
- Demonstrated experience taking complex ideas and concepts and communicating them visually to a range of stakeholders.
- Please provide examples of work demonstrating ability to produce: UX artefacts that communicate user experience and needs, illustrations, reports etc.
- Strong knowledge of WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standards.